Sunday 6 September 2020

Time and tide wait for no man

A few weeks ago I had to remove the chorus blog I had kept going since the virus lockdown ended rehearsals. I was disappointed that almost no one bothered to look, judging from the meagre response I was getting. 

The blog got a technical bug (possibly due to changes in the blogspot programming - not mine) and had to be taken down. But that was probably for the best. The corona virus sintuation has effectively put an end to the chorus project. 

Anyone venturing onto this blog can read that I am seriously tempted to discontinute my work with the chorus. If they want to continue, they will have to find a new director. I do not anticipate being able to discuss this with members of the chorus as this is basically a personal decision, but influenced by months of genuine distancing. 

The coruna virus has not died out. Far from it. People with my health problems and in my age group are warned to stay away from possible infection, and since singing is known to be fraught with the problems of escaping virus particles, that's what I have to do.

It's easy to calculate the danger. You could equate it with the idea that if you can smell someone's breath, you are too near and vulnerable to infection. Breath escapes at a much faster rate during singing (or shouting or playing a wind insturment). Face masks help, but you can't wear a mask while singing.

The virus is particularly contagious in rooms because the virus aerosols can inhabit the air for many hours unless the room is very well aired, and that is normally impossible, and certainly impossible in our former practice room, which had no windows at all, if I remember rightly. Compare this to the effect of a room spray that hangs in the air and can be smelt as perfume or not at all if the air spray is not perfumed.

This is my first indication that I will not be continuing with the cohrus work because of the reasons explained about. I don't suppose it will be read by anyone. If so, they can take a translate to fully understand my comments.

The truth is that nothing lasts forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment