Thursday 21 February 2019

Illegal immigrant???

Yesterday Brits were being threatened with having to have a visa consting 52 quid if they want to visit EU countries. So I am puzzling along with millions with a UK passport as to whether that also applies to people who are already resident in EU countries (in my case for over 52 years). The visa threat has been with us before and quashed, but now it's only 36 days to that Brit rush off the cliff, so things are looking more than theoretical.


And yes - the problem of what happens next is like a dark cloud hanging over me. I am only an expat in Germany. I have no voting rights in the UK either, so no control over political decisions, and I get no Brit pension or other subsidies.

The only thing that maks me a UK national is the remark in my passport that I could settle in the UK if I wanted to. Since I have nowhere to go there and no money to finance any kind of housing in the UK, I am obliged to stay here (I now want to stay here, not least because I have a modest home here and can depend on the health system) and hope for mercy - the kind of mercy that is missing in UK politics as they strip people who've been residents for many decades of their right to stay in the UK because the home office destroyed all their documents in one of their clean-ups rather than be bothered to digitalize it!

It's a long, disgusting story. The tory party is awash with disgusting stories and racist, xenophobic but filthy rich supporters and politicians and it mystifies me as to how people can still vote for them and their lies and greed. Those same people voted for the brexit exit because they were told lies and are still being told lies about the EU.Admittedly the opposition is just as awful....

It truly beggars belief. I'm writing this as I want there be a record of my disgust at the way things are going. I  came to Germany to get a theatre engagement that would not have been available to me in the UK. I stayed to raise a family and long after, with one long stay in the UK in the 1990s that convinced me that I could no longer live with the prevailing attitudes there. Now I am aware of being a foreigner in a German car when I am there and have been faced with agression because of that! Amazing, considering that the English language borrows from at least 150 other languages and the English (emphasis on English) are derived from many different ethnic groups. But the English are in charge in Britain. Sad, isn't i? Not all of them, of course, but the politics are pro-English..

So Treeza May is now trotting back to Brussels again to beg for perks she won't get. The UK will crash out of the EU unless something amazing happens; Scotland will get ready to leave the UK soon so that May and the brexit she was actually against but is now fghting for will have the dubious record of breaking up the UK. Whether Ulster can decide to join with Eire remains to be seen since they worship different gods - religion being the most obvious cause of aggression there. The god Mammon is the driving force in England, with Wales trotting along obediently except that North Wales, where I come from, voted to stay in the EU.

Only Scoitland can survive on its own of the 3 virtually external parts of the UK. Wales has almost no industry and neither has Ulster, but foreign firms are getting out of England fast and it remains to be seen how a UK can get along since it sold itself out industrially years ago and the service industry depends on foreigners. So what to true Brits alias Englanders do? Ponder on their greatness?Or get on with stockpiling foods. Maybe carpenters will have more work making coffins for the people who can't get the drugs they need or simply starve to death.

As for me? It remains to be seen, I suppose....  .

No comments:

Post a Comment