Thursday 9 October 2014

What you think you live for ...

Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven 

(W.B. Yeats, 1865-1939)

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,Enwrought with golden and silver light,The blue and the dim and the dark clothsOf night and light and half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet:But I, being poor, have only my dreams;I have spread my dreams under your feet;Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I love this poem and wish I'd written it! 

I came across this line in a poem just a few minutes ago:

'What you think you live for you may not live for'

and am intrigued by its implications. It raises many questions, and at this moment I have no time to write down my thoughts and ideas. The main issue is what do we live for. As old ages approaches (too fast) it's high time to set priorities. Should life really consist only of surviving at whatever cost? What constitutes quality of life, for you, for me, for anyone? 

I don't know if anyone reads my blog. It really doesn't matter. It's a record of the passing of time, and it's my time that is passing. No one values your time as much as you do. That - at least - I have learnt, the hard way. 

I'm leaving this blog now to prepare for my evening coaching my chorus. I hope it's time well-spent.