Monday 28 October 2013

Procrastinating again

Blogs are the perfect way to put off doing what should be done first! I've just corrected the previous post. That's wasn't my intention, but when I wrote it I didn't see the howlers!

It's 28th October, and I still haven't decided whether to spend November writing a new book for NANOWRIMO. I did last year, and finished it, along with about 10% of the entrants, some of who were already best-seller authors using the organization as a platform. I spent 3 months getting my effort corrected. I couldn't believe how many contraditions I'd built in, though I'd tried to keep to a scheme.

Since the spring I've been writing another (the 3rd) book in a series with the same characters plus additions as needed (e.g. corpses and suspects). It isn't finished. It should be by now, but I've been tussling with the all-important question of who actually did the original murder.... and I'm still not 100% because the characters develop during a novel. If you don't let them, they die on you, i.e. become superfluous. And anyway, I killed off my prime suspect early on. Careless of me, but dramaturgically necessary - or was it desperation?

My son maintains that I should sell the first two before writing yet another saga, but that's not the point for me - though a best-seller would be nice! I don't write best-sellers. I write homely little village crime stories, suitable for old ladies (like me) and innocent spinsters (not like me) to read in the dark (well - dusk) with just a reading lamp and the cat/dog for comfort. There's a genre called women's fiction. I don't think it's that, but could I get into writing books with doctors treating women as the main plot? Heaven forbid. 

I have two days to decide whether to rewrite the current novel, or think up another...... I think I'll go shopping and decide later.

No comments:

Post a Comment