Wednesday 13 February 2013

On the back burner

I'm writing a little brevier on this kind of doodling - in German, since nothing of the kind exists here. I would be happy to translate something into German, but don't have the necessary contacts or influence to get to do that, so why not write one instead? 
Contrary to the nature of many art books on all topics, it will not be an exhibition of my work - I don't think I'm qualified to do that. But that isn't the point, either! So many people do not speak any English here that there is a market for such a book, of that I am sure. There is a growing population of older people, many with time on their hands or alone and lacking a distraction or hobby - how careless of people not to have hobbies to bolster them up, especially when their working days are over!

So my drawing activities are curtailed at the moment. I need to make some new drawings for the book - demonstrations, not to show off my prowess (which is modest), but ways to approach the task of producing what can be realistically described as 'dynamic doodles'. 

One of the ways of approaching the tasks involved is to see how someone else does it. That someone else is mainly me, since I have no intention of abusing any copyright restrictions.

To kick off, I have edited an old A4 sketch sampler I made to record some patterns that were new to me at the time, showing numbers corresponding to a list of 8 pattern types I documented for the purpose. 

numbered sampler
Of course, the pattern definitions often overlap. A flower can also be a filler. Geometrics can be borders. I am giving hints for drawing the sectors where necessary and including little snippets from the sketch for identification, e.g.: 

a snippet of a pattern defined as a geometric filler

For anyone who can really understand English, there are countless wonderful books on the subject, of course. To understand the problems of having to read instruction books you can't follow, imagine being confronted with any book in any language you don't understand. Would you be bothered to try to decipher it? Probably not. A glance at the multi-language books describing the functions of e.g. a cell phone, would suffice to confirm that! So much gobbledygook...........

Back to the drawing board now.


No comments:

Post a Comment