Tuesday 13 October 2009

Six of a kind

I can't call these small paintings "six of the best" because that actually infers corporal punishment and I wouldn't go so far as to say they were a form of punishment, though some  viewers may find them hard on the eyes! I was sorting paintings out for my exhibition when I remembered this series, painted in oils ages ago. I didn't even have a photo of them but I nailed them on a wall and took a first look at them all together. Except for the one top right, which caught a light reflection, they all seem to look the way they should and I've decided to add them to the collection. The interesting part is that they are all painted with the same limited palette: black, white, 2 reds and pthalo blue, so there is continuity between them although they have no obvious theme.Another interesting factor is that they can actually be hung any way round (though some ways look better than others) and the order here is also arbitrary!


No comments:

Post a Comment