Sunday 13 September 2009

A lazy Sunday

The road to hell is paved with good intentions! I did nothing at all today, so hardly worth writing except to post an acrylic study I did before going to bed last night. I saw something like this in google when I was looking for something else, but I've no idea where! It stuck in my mind so I tried to recreate it on an recycled canvas. It's definitely nicer than the painting I covered up. 
I've decided to take quite a lot of older paintings off their stretchers and roll them instead. They take up such a lot of storage space and I could not send them anywhere on the stretchers, so it's a practical decision.  I used to have a wonderful studio where I could paint really big, but the exhibition I was working for never happened. I think the guy organizing lost his job over an art scandal - he had allowed someone to paint over some sort of statue in one of the city parks, and there was a huge protest, although it probably improved the artwork. That's the way the cookie crumbles, to quote another appropriate saying. So those large paintings landed in my storeroom and are languishing heartbroken for want of being seen! Here are two of them. These oil paintings measure 170x80cm and can be hung wide or tall! 
 
Right now I'm trying to decide whether and what to show at a group exhibition. About 25 artists are taking part and I wonder if it's really worth the effort. The venue is off the beaten track and I've no idea if anyone will even go there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment